This morning I went on a glorious 16km run with my running group. It was one of those runs where the sun was shining and you finally felt that winter was coming to an end. Fingers crossed! Winter is really not my best season, so I am definitely looking forward to it being over. I was recently away in Costa Rica and it was so nice to feel the warm sunshine again!
This month is my birthday month and each year I like to try and take some time to document my goals for the coming year. Hopefully by sharing them with all of you I will be able to make them come true. Some goals are pretty concrete while others are more vague. But each individual goal means something to me.
Goals for this coming year:
- Run a sub 2 hour half marathon.
- Register for a Try-a-Tri this summer.
- To walk out of a yoga class and be proud of what I have accomplished easier said than done for me!
- Buy a place.
- Be happy with who I am. I have a lot to be thankful for and it is time I start truly realizing this.
- Constantly set new goals/challenges for myself.
- Spend more time with the people I care about.
- Take some time each week to turn dreams I have into realities.
- Invite friends over more often for dinner.
- To take a cooking class at Culinarium.
- To stop using the word just so much this one is for you B.
Weekday breakfasts havent always been something I look forward to. For many years I thought my only approved weekday breakfast options were cereals, toast, muffins none of which appeal to me. Rather than eat these items I would just grab a coffee and wait til lunch.
Then I met with a nutritionist who asked me why I didnt often eat breakfast Monday to Friday. The reason? I thought I wasnt allowed to eat savoury/non-sweet foods at breakfast. A pretty pathetic reason to avoid a meal that would kick-start my metabolism for the day. To cut a long story short the nutritionist worked with me to come up with some breakfast options that I looked forward to eating.
All of these are super easy to make and are a delicious way to start the day. All spreads are on top of sprouted grain bread.
Hummus and tomatoes spread on toast is one of my staples. I can often be seen eating this at the start of my workday.
A breakfast bruschetta of sorts basil, tomato and goat cheese.
Who doesnt love avocado? As you can see I love tomatoes!
The sweetest of all the options (sometimes I do need a twinge of sweet!) blueberries and goat cheese.
Whats your favourite breakfast mixtures? Do you prefer a sweeter or savoury start to the day?
While in Costa Rica I picked up some delicious spices from Villa Vanilla. Over the Easter weekend I decided to put some of them to use (along with a much wanted and not very used ice cream maker!).
The result a not too sweet treat! Perfect for a post-dinner dessert.
Cinnamon-Vanilla ice cream
- 1/3 cream
- 2 cups of milk
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
Mix all of the ingredients together. Transfer to ice cream maker. Let the ice cream maker do its magic.